Monday 11 September 2017

Painting Instructions - EWH 2 Trooper, Roundhead Cavalry (Ironsides)

I've just acquired my first significant number of ECW Hinton Hunt figures and along with them was an original painting guide for EWH 2. As I've never seen an ECW painting guide before I thought I would post the text here (below).


EWH. 2.

HINTON HUNT FIGURES
PAINTING INSTRUCTIONS
ENGLISH CIVIL WAR 1642 /49

TROOPER, ROUNDHEAD CAVALRY (IRONSiDES)
Helmet.
Steel. Generally painted black.

Doublet.
Red with buff coat over the top leaving only the arms of the doublet exposed (the sleeves were sometimes alternative rust red and light fawn bands). The long full skirts of the buff coat reach to the knees.

Collar.
White.

Cuirass.
Steel with leather waist strap having a brass buckle. The cuirass was generally painted black to avoid rust.

Gloves.
Buff.

Boots.

Light brown leather with steel spurs.
Sword belt.

Brown leather with brass buckle and slide.
Scabbard.
Brown leather with steel tip.

Sword
Steel with steel basket hilt.

Note
The armour, helmet and sword of the above figure are based on existing examples in the Hinton collection.


Horse (EWH. 2.)

Bridle & reins.
Brown leather with steel buckles.

Saddle.
Brown leather, with skirts to saddle brown leather.

Holsters.
Pistol holsters, brown leather, wooden pistol butts with brass caps.

Breast strap, etc.
Brown leather.










5 comments:

Stryker said...

Nice one Clive - will you be posting photos of the figures you acquired?

Vintage Wargaming said...

I hope to Ian but I have found it hard recently to get round to doing photos - I have a big backlog to get through. There were 75 foot and 30 horse, I also acquired 80 Napoleonic foot and 40 cavalry, including Baraguay d'Hilliers who I have been looking for for years as I have all the other personalities.

So no promises about the photos - I did mean to try today but didn't get round to it.

lewisgunner said...

Good for you, Clive, its a nice little range, though the cast on flags on the foot are a bit top heavy so I replaced them. A pity HH did not do some unarmoured pikemen and a little bit of variety in the cavalry, but they do look fine on the table. SHQ fit reasonably well with them and Warrior do a good gun.
Roy

Vintage Wargaming said...

Roy there were medium and heavy guns in the Hinchliffe 20mm range, which may be available from the usual source. What's your view on HH ECW compatibility with Les Higgins?

lewisgunner said...

I don't run the HH with Higgins VW . I find the Higgins slightly smaller and with a very much more fished and smooth style somI have armies of both, but not intermixed. There are the two generations of LH Ecw, the first were the set sold,mI think, in the Burlington arcade and they had Charles 1 , four swordfighting cavalryman , the marching musketeer and the fat pikeman. I find these smaller than later Higgins/Phoenix figures of the firing musketeer, the pikemen holding vertical, the curious drummer with the Marlburian coat and the lovely dragoon, plus the cavalry figures. The First issur Higgins are the smallest, then the later Higgins and then the HH.
The style of the HH ECW is very much like the line drawings in the Peter Young books on ECW battles...Edgehill, Marston Moor and, I think Cropredy bridge. Marcus Hinton was involved with the Sealed Knot and Peter Young and I do wonder if the figures were inspired by that relationship.
Roy