Monday 12 June 2017

Hinton Hunt Painting Instructions

After a significant amount of work I have now finished transcribing all the sets of original Hinton Hunt Painting Transactions I have or which people have kindly sent me.

These originals are typically slightly (at least) fuzzy carbon copy type documents. They don't reproduce well when posted so transcribing them seemed to be the best way to preserve them and make them accessible and usable.

Marcus Hinton was not entirely consistent in style or spelling but I have tried to remain as true as possible to the originals, avoiding editing and keeping as close to the original text and layout.

All are for Napoleonic figures.

I have grouped them in seven separate documents:

A - Index - a list of all those included in the transcripts

1 - AN Codes - Austrians (16)
2 - BN Codes - British (24)
3 - FN Codes - French (51)
4 - PN Codes - Prussian (11)
5 - RN Codes - Russian (9)

6 - Smaller Nations - includes Bavaria (1), Brunswick (3), Netherlands (1), Hesse-Darmstadt (2), Nassau (1), Portugal (1), Grand Duchy of Warsaw (1), Wurttemberg (1)

These documents are pdfs. I hope there may be some additions in time as people may send me scans or copies of sets I don't yet have.

As there is the potential for these documents to change I am not making them available at the moment for download. Instead, you can send me a comment (which I won't publish), giving your email address and saying which of the seven documents you would like me to send you.

It may be that more recent research has overtaken some of this information but Marcus Hinton was serious about his research and they give the authentic answer to how he expected his figures to be painted in the 1960s and 70s. Having transcribed them all I can confirm I think they will be very helpful for anyone looking to paint these vintage figures (provided, of course, the particular set of instructions you need were available to me and are included in my list0.

As I am doing this because once I had done it for myself I thought I would share the information with others, this is all on a good will basis so I make no guarantees about how quickly I can deal with any requests I receive, but I will do my best to respond quickly.

This information is provided on condition no commercial use is made of it, and on condition you do not copy and send to anyone else. If you know of anyone who would also like them, please direct them here to obtain them from me.

6 comments:

Stryker said...

Clive - this really is a labour of love and very much appreciated!

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Clive, this is clearly a labour of love, but you really do need to get out more.

Vintage Wargaming said...

Just waiting for invitations...

James Fisher said...

Fabulous that you are preserving these manuscripts and pieces of information by scanning and even typing them!

Johnrob said...

Hi Clive, do you have painting instructions for Prussian landwehr John

Vintage Wargaming said...

No John I'm afraid not